Ehemalige Synagoge in Rhens


Initially, there was a prayer room or a first synagogue (mentioned in 1808). In 1827, it was learned that the building was in a dilapidated state and that a new synagogue was to be planned. In the following years, the ten Jewish families at that time were able to build a new synagogue, although they lived in very simple, sometimes poor conditions. The synagogue was built and consecrated in 1832. An older house - a stately building with a hipped mansard roof dating from 1668 - was converted into a synagogue (the door lintel dated the building to 1668). Financing was arranged, among other things, by renting out the synagogue spaces. During the November pogrom in 1938, the synagogue was desecrated and demolished by SA men and Hitler boys. Ugly scenes took place: ritual utensils such as the Hanukkah chandelier were stolen and carried around in derision. A Torah scroll was attached to a wagon (the Jewish community's hearse) in such a way that it was unrolled during the journey. SA men trampled on the unwound part, set fire to the Torah scroll and rolled it with the cart to the Rhine. The synagogue building, however, remained intact and was later converted into a residential building.


Translated with (free version)

mehr lesen

Share content:

At a glance

Opening hours

  • Vom January 1st bis December 31st
    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

    00:00 - 23:59 Uhr

The memorial plaque on the building is freely accessible and can be viewed at any time.

The building has been converted into a residential house and can therefore not be visited.

Translated with




Ehemalige Synagoge
Langstraße 9
56321 Rhens


Plan your journey

Route on Google Maps

Arrive by train